How likely is your e-cigarette to explode?
資料來源：英國廣播公司 BBC.com / 翻譯及編輯：HC VAPE TEAM
A man in America died when his vape pen exploded, but how dangerous are e-cigarettes?
The case has made headlines around the world, and is believed to be the first death caused by vaping products in the US.
The man, Tallmadge D'Elia, died at his home in Florida when his device blew up and projected fragments into his skull.
He was said to have suffered burns over 80% of his body.
這名男子名叫 Tallmadge D'Elia 在佛羅里達州的家中死亡，據說當時他的裝置爆炸後，碎片投射到他的頭骨中，導致身體80％以上的燒傷。
But how common are these kinds of incidents? 但這些事件有多常見呢？
In the UK, e-cigarettes have caused burns and fires, yet these cases are rare.
Experts say the man who died was using a particular kind of vape pen, known as a mechanical mod, which is not that common in the UK.
Mechanical mods do not use inner circuitry to regulate the voltage, and most e-cigarettes have more built-in safety features. Yet even these safer products can cause burns or fires if incorrectly used.
Mark Gardiner, lead officer for product safety at the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, explains:"Enthusiasts might experiment with different batteries and e-liquids to try and get the biggest vape.
This can result in people building their own systems which can generate a lot of heat and then explode.
"That said, even an unmodified product can go wrong, as can any product containing a lithium-ion battery.
And if a battery fails and explodes then obviously it's an extra hazard if it's in your mouth."
特許貿易標準協會（Chartered Trading Standards Institute）的產品安全負責人馬克加德納解釋說：
Fire services are reporting being called out to a small number of fires caused by exploding e-cigarettes usually as a result of using the wrong charger,
over-charging the battery, or incorrectly storing it. Gary Asquith, station commander at West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service, says: "It's not the e-cigarettes that are unsafe in themselves, but the misuse of the lithium-ion batteries that they use."
He recalls the case of a man whose spare e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket. "We posted a CCTV video of a man in Leeds who was carrying a spare battery for his e-cigarette in his pocket.
It came into contact with a coin and a key, short-circuited and exploded."
"Most people aren't aware that this might happen. You can get carry cases for your spare batteries which you should put them in if you are going to keep them in your pocket."
Mr Asquith also says he's been called out to a number of house fires caused by incorrect charging of e-cigarettes. "If you buy an e-cigarette and it doesn't come with a charger, and then you buy a cheap one online,that is when you might see the lithium-ion battery overcharging and catching fire."
編：在這裡，真的要呼籲各位朋友，請到 合法的店面 選購商品！
In February, Public Health England commissioned a report into e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products.
They found that there are three million users of e-cigarettes in the UK, compared with nine million cigarette smokers.
The report noted: "Exploding e-cigarettes can cause severe burns and injuries that require intensive and prolonged medical treatment,
especially when they explode in users' hands, pockets or mouths.
"Incidents are very rare, the cause is uncertain but appears to be related to malfunctioning lithium-ion batteries."
However, the authors of the report cautioned that e-cigarettes remained far safer than cigarettes which cause many more fires and injuries annually.
and have helped many people give up the habit.
Dr Humayun Khan, a consultant in burns and plastic surgery at Wythenshawe hospital Manchester, said incidents of burns were infrequent.
"We come across these cases about one or twice a year. They are mostly of minor injuries with small areas of burns.
"As I recall they are mostly related to leakage or overheating of the batteries rather than an explosion. We have treated these superficial burns without surgery."
曼徹斯特醫院（Wythenshawe Hospital）燒傷和整形外科顧問 Humayun Khan 博士表示，燒傷事件很少發生。
How to use e-cigarettes safely
- Charge them only with the charger they come with
- Don't leave them charging overnight
- If batteries start to get hot, discard them
- It's not a good idea to use them when charging
- Do not modify products in any way
- Do not use batteries if damaged, leaking or wet and dispose of them appropriately (via local refuse schemes)
- Do not leave them plugged in once fully charged
Source：Chartered Trading Standards Institute
※ 原文出處 BBC.com：https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44161348
※ Chartered Trading Standards Institute：台灣好像沒有，如果有更好的翻譯歡迎告訴小編。